If you’re looking for something slightly different to do with a whole chicken, then spatchcock BBQ chicken is a delicious, simple and quick option. By keeping the whole bird on the bone and just flattening it out by removing the spine, you keep all the moisture and flavour whilst reducing the cooking time.
This spatchcock BBQ chicken recipe serves 2-4 people, takes just 10 minutes to prepare (plus any additional marination time for the chicken) and just 30-40 minutes to cook.
Spatchcock BBQ chicken with Hot & Spicy Beans – what you need:
1x fresh, prepared, whole chicken, approx 2kg or 4lb in weight.
1x tin baked beans.
2x fresh corn on the cob – cut in half.
2x sweet potatoes – cut into wedges.
4-6 heaped teaspoons of The Food Beaver BBQ Seasoning.
1-2 heaped teaspoons of The Food Beaver Hot & Spicy Seasoning. Use according to your own heat tolerance!
Salted butter – optional for the corn on the cob.
2x long skewers.
Spatchcock BBQ chicken with Hot & Spicy Beans – what you need to do:
1. To prepare the spatchcock chicken: place the chicken breast side down on a chopping board with the legs towards you. Using sharp scissors, cut up along each side of the backbone to remove it, starting at the end nearest to you. You will need to cut through the ribs so use caution. Flatten the bird out and turn over. Use your hand to push the breastbone down to get the bird to even thickness. Use two skewers to run diagonally through each leg and opposite side breast – this will secure the meat during cooking.
2. Score the chicken all over with a sharp knife then rub in the BBQ Seasoning thoroughly. Add a generous drizzle of olive oil and rub over, making sure the whole bird is coated with seasoning and oil. Leave to marinate in the fridge any time up to 24 hours.
3. Start with the BBQ on a high heat and add the chicken skin side down. Lower the heat or move to a cooler part of the coals and close the lid if you have one. Cook for approx. 15-20 minutes each side until cooked through – do not move the bird until cooking time for each side is up! Always check the thickest part of the meat to ensure it is cooked – the juices should run clear, or use a temperature probe (chicken should be 79°C). Once cooked, remove from BBQ and place to rest on a chopping board.
4. Whilst the chicken is cooking or resting, add some sea salt and olive oil to the sweet potato wedges and cook in the oven at 200°C/180°C fan for 15-20 minutes, turning once halfway through.
5. Add the corn on the cob to a saucepan of salted, boiling water and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain and add butter to coat the corn once cooked.
6. Add the baked beans to a saucepan and stir in the Hot & Spicy Seasoning. Cook on low for 5 minutes.
Simply serve the Spatchcock BBQ Chicken on a board with all the trimmings and dig in – the chicken should be succulent, juicy and literally fall apart!
Tasty food, made simple!
I hope you like this Spatchcock BBQ Chicken with Hot & Spicy Beans recipe, made with The Food Beaver BBQ and Hot & Spicy Seasonings. As always, your feedback is most welcome so please comment below or get in touch at thefoodbeaver.com or through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The Food Beaver.