A great way to make vegetable kebabs taste even better is by covering them in a sweet and sticky BBQ glaze! For a more substantial lunch or dinner you can also add some chunks of tofu or halloumi for a protein kick, as an alternative to meat if you are veggie or vegan. Here we have used tofu which makes this recipe completely vegan, as well as pineapple chunks for natural sticky sweetness. Served with spicy rice, this BBQ vegetable kebabs recipe is highly nutritious, 100% natural and healthy.
This recipe serves two and cooking time including prep is just 30 mins.
Sticky BBQ Vegetable Kebabs with Spicy Rice Recipe – what you need:
Approx. 280g/10oz tofu – cut into 6 chunks.
2x red onions – peeled and cut into quarters. Keep 2 quarters to one side and finely chop.
1x green pepper – cut into large chunks.
6x large pieces of fresh or tinned pineapple.
6x teaspoons of The Food Beaver BBQ Seasoning.
2x generous tablespoons of honey or maple syrup or golden syrup.
1x tablespoon olive oil.
Approx. 200g white or basmati rice – rinsed under cold water in a sieve.
Approx. 150g or half a tin of black beans or black eyed beans or red kidney beans – drained and rinsed.
1x fresh lime – zested.
1x teaspoon of The Food Beaver Hot & Spicy Seasoning.
Salt and pepper.
2x large kebab skewers.
BBQ or griddle pan.
What to do:
1. Firstly in the small bowl mix together the BBQ Seasoning, honey or syrup and olive oil for the sticky BBQ glaze. Loosen the mixture with a splash of water if needed. Then arrange the cut vegetables and tofu onto each skewer and baste well with half of the BBQ glaze until covered.
2. Cook the kebabs for roughly 20 minutes (depending on the thickness of your veggies and tofu) on medium heat on a BBQ, grill or griddle pan, turning every few minutes and basting with more of the sticky BBQ glaze – keep a small amount of glaze back for one final drizzle when serving.
3. Meanwhile, cook the finely chopped onions in the small saucepan with a drizzle of olive oil on medium heat until soft. Remove the cooked onions from the saucepan and place to one side.
4. Now cook the rice in the small saucepan and for the final 5 minutes add in the beans. Once cooked, drain any excess water and put the rice and beans into the mixing bowl, along with the cooked onions, lime zest and Hot & Spicy Seasoning. Mix all together to create the spicy rice.
5. Once the kebabs are cooked, remove from the heat and serve alongside the spicy rice. Drizzle any remaining sticky BBQ glaze over the kebabs and sprinkle any remaining lime zest over the rice. Enjoy!
Tasty food made simple.
We hope you like this Sticky BBQ Vegetable Kebabs with Spicy Rice recipe. As always, your feedback is most welcome so please comment below or get in touch via thefoodbeaver.com, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Food Beaver.