Here is a very simple recipe to create delicious Kung Po King Prawns and egg fried rice at home. Kung Po is a popular dish on any Chinese menu, combining sweet, sour and spicy flavours for an extremely satisfying taste. It goes perfectly with egg fried rice to soak up all the sauce.
This Kung Po King Prawns recipe serves two and takes just 30 minutes from start to finish. You can, of course, use other types of meat, fish and vegetables for this recipe, which are all equally delicious in the Kung Po style sauce.
Kung Po King Prawns – what you need:
Approx. 200g/7oz King Prawns (about 8 per serving).
2x heaped teaspoons of The Food Beaver Oriental Seasoning.
1/2 tablespoon sesame oil.
1/2 tablespoon groundnut oil.
1x medium sized white onion – cut into chunks.
1x red bell pepper – cut into chunks.
1x large red chilli – sliced.
1x small tin of sliced water chestnuts – drained.
2x rings of tinned pineapple with juice – cut into chunks and juice saved.
4x tablespoons sweet chilli sauce.
Approx. 200g/7oz white rice – rinsed under cold water.
2x free range eggs.
Wok, frying pan and small saucepan.
Kung Po King Prawns – what to do:
1. Marinate the king prawns in the Oriental Seasoning and sesame oil.
2. Simmer the rice in approx. 400ml/13.5fl oz of salted water until cooked but still firm. Drain if necessary and rinse well with cold running water to cool the rice down quickly and safely. Tip: always use cold rice when cooking fried rice dishes to avoid over-cooking later.
3. Heat the wok over medium-high heat and add the marinated prawns – cook for roughly a minute until they are seared on both sides. Set them aside for later.
4. Add the groundnut oil to the wok and stir in the onion, pepper, water chestnuts and half the sliced red chilli until it all starts to soften. Then add the pineapple and stir.
5. Now add the prawns back into the wok and stir in the sweet chilli sauce and half the juice from the pineapple tin. Bring to the simmer and let the sauce reduce until sticky.
6. Meanwhile, add a little groundnut oil to the frying pan over medium heat and scramble in the eggs until they start to cook. Now add the cooled rice and stir fry until heated through thoroughly. Serve into bowls and generously spoon over the Kung Po King Prawns. Garnish with more fresh red chilli. Enjoy!
Tasty food made simple.
The Food Beaver.