This authentic tasting Mexican chilli con carne recipe is really simple and packed full of smoky, spicy flavour – made using The Food Beaver Hot & Spicy Seasoning, with no other spices or seasoning required. It’s the perfect accompaniment to a cold winters day and leaves you feeling warm and very satisfied.
You can make this dish as hot as you like, using more Hot & Spicy Seasoning or fresh chillies if you prefer a little more kick! I always like to serve it with a large spoon of soured cream or creme fraiche to help cool the heat down when needed.
This delicious chilli con carne recipe serves up to 6 people and takes just 45 mins to 1 hour from start to finish, including low simmer time for all the flavours to come together.
Chilli Con Carne – what you need:
Approx. 1lb/500g good quality beef/steak mince or ground beef.
Approx. 1lb/500g good quality pork mince/ground pork.
1x large red onion – finely chopped.
1x large white onion – finely chopped.
2x medium sized carrots – finely diced.
2x cloves garlic – finely chopped/crushed.
1x large sliced red chilli – with or without seeds depending on heat preference!
2x beef stock cubes/pots in approx. half pint of boiled water.
2x cartons/tins chopped tomatoes.
3x tablespoons tomato puree/paste.
4x teaspoons of The Food Beaver Hot & Spicy Seasoning.
1x tin kidney beans (in water).
3x large tortilla wraps.
Soured cream or creme fraiche.
Optional garnish – handful fresh coriander – roughly chopped.
Optional garnish – sliced red chilli.
Optional garnish – grated cheddar cheese.
Large pan with lid.
How to do it:
1. Firstly add a generous drizzle of olive oil to the large pan over a medium heat. Add the chopped onions, carrots, garlic, chilli and stir. Cook for 5 minutes until it starts to soften then add the beef and pork. Break the meat down (a potato masher works great!) and mix well.
2. Now add the beef stock, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree/paste and The Food Beaver Hot & Spicy Seasoning. Mix thoroughly and reduce to low heat. Cover and simmer until ready to serve – minimum cooking time 30 mins for all the flavours to come together. Season to taste if necessary.
3. Approx. 15 minutes before you are ready to serve, strain the kidney beans, add to the chilli con carne and stir.
4. For the tortilla crisps – preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan. Cut the tortillas into triangles and place on a baking tray. Cook for 5 mins until crisp – turn halfway through if necessary.
5. Serve the chilli con carne with boiled white rice and garnish with your choice of soured cream or creme fraiche, chopped coriander, sliced red chilli and grated cheese.
Enjoy with family and friends!
I hope you enjoy this authentic tasting Mexican Chilli Con Carne recipe. As always, your feedback is most welcome so please comment below or get in touch at thefoodbeaver.com or through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The Food Beaver.