This authentic Mexican chilli con carne recipe is really simple and packed full of smoky, spicy flavour. Topped with grated cheddar, soured cream and fresh coriander, it’s a perfect accompaniment to this cold weather we are still experiencing in the UK and leaves you feeling warm and very satisfied.
You can make this dish as hot as you like, if you prefer a little more kick! I always like to serve it with a large spoon of soured cream to help cool the heat down when needed.
This delicious chilli con carne recipe serves 4 and takes just 45 mins to 1 hour from start to finish, including low simmer time for all the flavours to come together.
Authentic Chilli Con Carne Recipe – what you need:
Approx. 1lb/500g good quality beef/steak mince or ground beef.
1x medium sized onion – finely chopped.
1x medium sized carrot – finely diced.
2x cloves garlic – finely chopped/crushed.
1x red bell pepper – finely diced.
1x large red chilli – finely chopped (leave seeds in for extra heat if required).
1x beef stock cube/pot in approx. half pint of boiled water.
1x carton/tin chopped tomatoes.
2x tablespoons tomato puree/paste.
1x tin kidney beans (in water).
1x heaped teaspoon chilli powder – add more or less depending on your heat preference.
1x heaped teaspoon smoked paprika.
Approx. 300g/10oz Basmati rice – rinsed in a sieve under cold water.
Handful fresh coriander – roughly chopped.
Grated cheddar cheese.
Sea salt and black pepper.
Large saucepan with lid for the chilli.
Medium saucepan with lid for the rice.
Authentic Chilli Con Carne Recipe – what you need to do:
1. Firstly add a generous drizzle of olive oil to the large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the chopped onion, carrot, red bell pepper, chilli and garlic and stir. Cook for 5 minutes until it starts to soften then add the steak mince/ground beef. Break the meat down and mix well.
2. Now add the beef stock, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree/paste, chilli powder, smoked paprika and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly and reduce to low heat. Cover and simmer until ready to serve – minimum cooking time 30 mins for all the flavours to come together. Season again to taste if necessary.
3. Approx. 10 minutes before you are ready to serve, add the kidney beans to the chilli con carne and stir.
4. Now add the rinsed rice to the medium saucepan with a pinch of salt and add double the amount of water – in this case 300g rice so 600ml water. You can use fresh boiled water straight form the kettle. Cover and simmer for approx.10 mins until the rice is cooked. Drain any excess water and then rinse with fresh boiled water to remove the starch.
5. Serve the rice into bowls and add a generous helping of delicious chilli con carne, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and top with grated cheddar, soured cream and fresh coriander.
Enjoy with great company and a glass of red wine – this is sure to warm your soul during these cold evenings!
I hope you enjoy this Authentic Mexican Chilli Con Carne recipe. As always, your feedback is most welcome so please comment below or get in touch at thefoodbeaver.com or through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The Food Beaver.