Here’s how to make proper authentic Italian style Carbonara in less than 20 minutes! There is no cream used, only egg yolk to create a lovely flavour and coating on the pasta. I’ve also added mushrooms for a delicious extra Food Beaver touch!
This recipe serves 2.
What you need to make authentic Italian style Carbonara:
Smoked streaky bacon or pancetta – 200g diced into 1-2cm pieces roughly.
Mushrooms x6 medium sized, sliced.
Red onion – half of a medium size, finely chopped.
Parmesan cheese – approx 50g or to your liking, grated.
Tagliatelle or linguini pasta – approx 250g.
Egg yolks x4, beaten.
Sea salt and black pepper.
Extra virgin olive oil.
Large non stick frying pan.
What you need to do:
1. Get the frying pan on a medium-high heat and once hot add the bacon. Once the bacon has started to crisp slightly (after excess liquid has evaporated), add the onion then the mushrooms.
2. Cook the pasta to al dente with a pinch of sea salt and drizzle of olive oil.
3. Once the bacon is fully crisped and the onion and mushrooms are cooked take the pan off the heat and leave to one side to cool slightly – this is to stop the egg yolk from scrambling once added.
4. Add the cooked pasta to the rest of the ingredients in the pan and a splash of the pasta water.
5. Add the beaten egg yolks and stir, followed by half of the parmesan and stir until all ingredients are covered. Return to the heat to warm through if necessary and season with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
6. Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, black pepper and fresh parmesan on top!