Here’s a really quick and easy Italian inspired Sausage and Tomato Pasta recipe for all you sausage lovers out there! I know what some of you must be thinking; it’s sacrilege to chop up a good sausage and throw it in some sauce and pasta, especially in BBQ season! But trust me on this one and give it a go and if anyone doesn’t like it, I’ll eat my tail! 😉
Basically all that’s required is to make a simple tomato pasta sauce and add some good quality sausages, stir in your favourite pasta and finish with a generous helping of olive oil and parmesan cheese!
It’s a brilliant family dinner dish or even one to cook up for a lovely lunch.
This recipe serves 4 but you can make it a big or as small as you want, just adjust the ingredients accordingly.
Preparation time 10 minutes, cooking time 15 minutes.
Sausage and Tomato Pasta – what you need:
Sausages x4 large or x6 normal size. Here I’ve used plain pork sausages from the butcher but you can use any of your favourites.
Red onion x1, chopped.
Passata x500g carton or bottle.
Garlic x2 small cloves or x1 large clove, finely chopped or in a crusher.
Red chilli x1 deseeded (or you can leave the seeds in if you like it hot!), chopped.
Pasta x350g. Here I’ve used Rigatoni.
Fresh curly parsley – about 10 stems with the stalks removed, finely chopped.
Sea salt and black pepper.
Medium saucepan for the pasta.
Large saucepan or frying pan for the sauce.
Sausage and Tomato Pasta – what you need to do:
1. Firstly you need to par-cook and brown the sausages off whole in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 220°C/200°C fan. This is to get the skin cooked and brown before adding to the sauce later. Once browned remove from the oven and place to one side.
2. Meanwhile get the pasta on the boil with a pinch of salt and a drizzle of olive oil and cook as required until al dente (firm to the tooth). Once cooked, drain and leave to one side.
3. Whilst the pasta is cooking, get the large saucepan or frying pan on a medium heat and add approximately one tablespoon of olive oil followed by the garlic, chilli, passata and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to the simmer.
4. Now cut the sausages into discs about 1cm thick then add them to the sauce and simmer for another 5 minutes or until the sausages are cooked all the way through and the sauce is piping hot.
5. Add the cooked pasta to the pan with the sauce in (add a little water if necessary), stir thoroughly and serve followed by a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, a generous amount of freshly grated parmesan cheese, black pepper and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
Hey presto! You’ve got yourself a delicious and nutritious Italian inspired Sausage and Tomato Pasta dish in less than half an hour!
I hope you enjoy this Sausage and Tomato Pasta recipe and as always please let me know what you think.
The Food Beaver.