Roasted cod loin wrapped in smoky, streaky bacon is a match made in heaven! Combined with a super-healthy vegetable and new potato ratatouille with a caper butter sauce, this creates a very simple, delicious and highly nutritious dish.
Ratatouille is one of my favourite ways to combine numerous vegetables into a really tasty dish that is a great accompaniment to fish. Here I have added some lovely new potatoes into the mix to make a substantial but healthy and nutritious meal.
This recipe serves two and takes just 30 minutes from start to finish.
Roasted Cod Loin and Ratatouille with Caper Butter Sauce – what you need:
2x cod loin fillets.
4-6 rashers of smoked, streaky bacon or thinly sliced pancetta.
1x courgette – sliced into semi-circles.
1x red bell pepper – cut into chunks.
1x red onion – cut into chunks.
6x medium sized white mushrooms – cut into quarters.
2x fresh vine tomatoes – cut into eighths.
1x clove garlic – crushed.
Juice of half a lemon.
2x handfuls new potatoes – cut in half.
2x tablespoons capers – chopped.
6x baby gherkins/pickles – chopped.
Approx. 50g/2oz salted butter.
Extra virgin olive oil.
Sea salt and black pepper.
Large frying pan.
Small baking tray.
Tip: cut your different vegetables into similar sizes to ensure they cook at the same rate.
Roasted Cod Loin and Ratatouille with Caper Butter Sauce – what you need to do:
1. Firstly, preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan, lightly season the cod loin fillets with sea salt and black pepper then wrap them in the streaky bacon trying to cover as much of the cod as possible. Now add a drizzle of olive oil to the frying pan over a medium-high heat and brown the bacon wrapped cod all over. Transfer to the baking tray and bake in the oven for approx. 10-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of your cod. Always check before serving.
2. Meanwhile, add the new potatoes to the small saucepan and add boiling water and pinch of salt. Boil for 10 minutes or until cooked through.
3. Whilst the potatoes are cooking, add a generous drizzle of olive oil to the medium saucepan over a medium heat and throw in all the vegetables except the tomatoes. Add the crushed garlic and cook for 5 minutes until the veg starts to soften. Now add the tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice at the end.
4. Whilst the ratatouille and potatoes are cooking, using the same frying pan you used for the cod (do not wash it!) over a medium heat, add the butter, drizzle of olive oil, chopped capers and gherkins to make the sauce. Cook for approx 1 minute and keep warm until ready to serve.
5. Mix the cooked new potatoes into the ratatouille and serve onto plates. Slice each cod fillet in half and place on top of the ratatouille. Spoon the sauce over the whole dish and serve!
I hope you like this healthy and nutritious roasted cod loin and ratatouille with caper butter sauce recipe. As always, your feedback is most welcome so please comment below or get in touch at thefoodbeaver.com or through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The Food Beaver.